Typically we will five day sail training voyages (Sunday evening to Friday afternoon) from April until October.
A trip might go to the Dutch Friesian Islands, the rivers near Ipswich or over to Ostend - depending on wind, tide and crew
Sail training from Autumn 2013
- Throughout year from Easter – autumn half term
- Programme of sailing in year tailored to school timetable of exams etc, eg Year 11s after exams in June, Yr 10s earlier in year.
- Individuals (must be age 16+) will be able to participate in annual international tall ships race in summer holidays.
- Groups of 5 students + 1 Adult from school
- Leila will have skipper and mate
- Age/year group – KS3&4, Yrs 9-11, (14+) age groups will not be mixed;
- Any ability - volunteers
- 5 day trips
- Trip tailored to school needs, we will work with school to meet school-led targets.
- Important that each participating school has teacher leading school’s engagement in Leila sail training.
- Learning about sailing, boats, the sea, themselves, team-working.
- Training available to achieve Royal Yachting Association Competent Crew Certificate.
- Counts as residential course under Duke of Edinburgh.
- Funding –the Trust is committed to subsidising the cost of sail training for young people, but students would be expected to make contribution to cost (by doing own sponsored activities) to show their commitment and gain a sense of ownership. Any contributions from schools or funds they can access are welcomed.
Facilities, Health & Safety Etc
- Vessel MCA coded, ASTO registered
- Skipper and mate CRB checked. Skipper is qualified teacher.
- 6 berths, 4 in saloon, 2 in forecabin. Crew sleep in aftcabin.
- Galley (Kitchen), heads (toilet). No showers – taken on shore on arrival at port.
Pre-sail training activities (spring 2014)
- Spring 2013 will be completion of restoration, fitting out
- Tall Ships Races.
- Sail Training opportunities in September abd October, 2013
- After half-term, Leila will be moored at the Lowestoft Heritage Quay in the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht basin.
- After-school club on Leila once moored at Lowestoft Heritage Quay. Will involve activities on boat (eg practical boat maintenance), maritime learning etc. Creation of a Youth Advisory Group for Leila development.
- End Feb/March 2014 - Possibility of daysails out of Lowestoft for sailing experience and skills.